As families and businesses transition to remote-work, they may see a surge in home energy use, and in upcoming electric bills. Simple money-saving steps can help lower monthly electric bills without jeopardizing safety or comfort.
Kankakee Valley REMC understands the increased financial hardships facing families and businesses due to the economic impact of COVID-19. The cooperative has suspended disconnections for non-payment and are waiving late fees. We encourage individuals to pay at least a portion of their electric bill as they are able. Member-consumers are still responsible for those bills when the pandemic has passed. Taking simple steps can hope a large multi-month balance later on. It is important for families to be mindful fo their energy use and consider adjusting certain habits to avoid higher costs later on.
Here are some recommended saving tips:
- Program your thermostat to maximize energy savings. Setting your thermostat one degree lower when heating or one degree higher when cooling can reduce energy use by up to 5 percent.
- Do full loads of laundry and wash with cold water. Using warm water instead of hot can cut a load's energy use in half, and using cold water will save even more.
- Air-dry dishes. This step can cut your dishwasher's energy use by up to 50 percent.
- Substitute LEDs for conventional light bulbs. Lighting can amount to up to 12% of your monthly energy use. LEDs can cut your lighting costs.
- Unplug appliances and electronics when not in use. Small appliances and electronics use energy even when not in use.
Kankakee Valley REMC member-consumers can view their usage history by month and by day through the Login/Pay My Bill tab on the homepage at kvremc.com. After logging in with your username and password, visit the My usage tab and you can view your billing history, payments, usage history by month and also by day. If you have additional questions about your electric bill, call the Kankakee Valley REMC office Monday - Friday 7:30 am. to 4:00 p.m. and a customer service representative will be happy to assist you.